Deafness/Hearing Impairment/nutrition to reduce noise-induced and sensorineural hearing loss

Are there any studies that show that nutrition (e.g. increased antioxidant intake) can prevent or even reverse noise-induced and/or sensorineural hearing loss?

The military is very interested in this area and you may be able to find studies they are working on by googling the topic.  There are not any deffinative results as of yet, that I'm aware of.  There is a lot of speculation that antioxidants can help prevent and possibly even reverse some noise induced hearing losses.  We know that once the inner ear hair cells begin to deteriate, they release free radicals, these can be attacked or reversed by an enriched supply of antioxidants in the body.  One of the most resent studies has looked at a substance called D-Met.  This can be taken orally and is proving to protect the inner ear (of chinchillas) when exposed to loud noise and has even reversed some hearing loss cases in chinchillas.  I believe they are still investigating it in human studies through the military.
As a practicing audiologist and a military audiologist for the last 20 years, I can tell you that i've certainly seen some people tolerate noise exposure and aging better than others.  Ten people can be lined up on the firing range, firing the same weapon, and we can potientally get ten different levels of hearing damage.  We have thought for years that it is related to a person's health, nutrients, circulation, etc.  Soon studies should tell us more about what we can take to help our bodies help protect our ears.
Thank you for your question.   
Kelley Linton, AuD.

Deafness/Hearing Impairment

Dr. Kelley Linton

I'm an audiologist in private practice in Arkansas. I graduated from the University of Florida medical school. I specialize in hearing loss; hearing rehabilitation; hearing aids; noise induced hearing loss; occupational noise exposure; OSHA guidelines and regulations; hearing protection; tinnitis; newborn hearing testing; children and hearing loss and diagnosis and etiology of hearing loss.

I've been a practicing audiologist for 20 years and have owned a private practice for 14 years. I am also an audiologist in the United States Army where I teach DOD hearing conservation regulations and manage 3000 DOD employees at an army industrial facility.

Arkansas Academy of Audiology American Academy of Audiology Academy of Doctors of Audiology American Speech and Hearing Association National Hearing Conservation Association

Journal of the Academy of Audiology Southwest Times Record, Fort Smith, Arkansas Press Argus Courier, Van Buren, Arkansas

Au.D. - Doctor of Audiology, University of Florida American Academy of Audiology fellow member Audiology Board Certification American Speech and Hearing Association certification Arkansas State Audiology license-current CPT United States Army Medical Corps

American Speech and Hearing Association "ACE" award x 7 years United States Army Accommodation Award Arkansas Academy of Audiology elected board of director x 3 years Better community award, Fort Smith, AR for volunteer audiology service to free community health clinic

Serving newborn to geriatric ages.....unable to provide specific names.