Deafness/Hearing Impairment/how to prevent hearing loss from an ipod

Question
Is there some kind of headphone to use for an ipod instead of the ear buds that would be safe?  Something that has a volume control that I know would be safe so it won't damage my hearing or is there none?  Thank you in advance.

Answer
Tara,

Yes there are several companies that make volume limiting earphones/earbuds.  Many are designed for children but there are also several made for adults.  "Ultimate Ear Loud Enough" is a brand of earbud that limits volume for adults.  Many of these can be found at Radio Shack, Target or online at Amazon.com or various other websites.

If you don't want to purchase new earphones, you can use a general rule-of-thumb and keep the volume no more than 60% of its maximum setting.  This will typically insure that you are not exceeding a level which could cause permanent hearing loss.

Thank you for your question.  Kelley Linton, Au.D.    centerforhearing.net

Deafness/Hearing Impairment

Dr. Kelley Linton