Deafness/Hearing Impairment/Ringing in ear

I am 23 years old. I went to the doctor about a week ago due to cold, cough and severe pain in my right ear. I was told I had sinus. I was suggested to take ciplox (ciprofloxacin hydrochloride) ear drops twice daily for ear pain relief. Day before yesterday, I began hearing a light ringing in my ear. I'm still hearing it today. I am afraid about this. Can you please help me.

Ringing in the ear will often times happen when you have sinus problems.  It occurs because the middle ear is plugged up and sound is trapped inside.  The ear drops are usually harmless and shouldn't cause any permanent ringing.
If you feel the ringing is bothersome and/or getting worse, I would call your doctor and let them know the ringing has started.
With sinus problems, ringing is usually temporary and not a permanent problem.

Thank you for your question.  Kelley Linton, Au.D.  

Deafness/Hearing Impairment

Dr. Kelley Linton

I'm an audiologist in private practice in Arkansas. I graduated from the University of Florida medical school. I specialize in hearing loss; hearing rehabilitation; hearing aids; noise induced hearing loss; occupational noise exposure; OSHA guidelines and regulations; hearing protection; tinnitis; newborn hearing testing; children and hearing loss and diagnosis and etiology of hearing loss.

I've been a practicing audiologist for 20 years and have owned a private practice for 14 years. I am also an audiologist in the United States Army where I teach DOD hearing conservation regulations and manage 3000 DOD employees at an army industrial facility.

Arkansas Academy of Audiology American Academy of Audiology Academy of Doctors of Audiology American Speech and Hearing Association National Hearing Conservation Association

Journal of the Academy of Audiology Southwest Times Record, Fort Smith, Arkansas Press Argus Courier, Van Buren, Arkansas

Au.D. - Doctor of Audiology, University of Florida American Academy of Audiology fellow member Audiology Board Certification American Speech and Hearing Association certification Arkansas State Audiology license-current CPT United States Army Medical Corps

American Speech and Hearing Association "ACE" award x 7 years United States Army Accommodation Award Arkansas Academy of Audiology elected board of director x 3 years Better community award, Fort Smith, AR for volunteer audiology service to free community health clinic

Serving newborn to geriatric ages.....unable to provide specific names.