Deafness/Hearing Impairment/Profound hearing loss

Question
Hello Doctor,

I am Murali,29 years,from India.

Recently on Aug 2 2014 met with bike accident and suffered from multiple injuries 6 RIB fracture, Collar bone dislocation and CFS leak on right ear.

RIB fracture cured by itself only collar bone surgery performed and CFS leak stopped after 3 days of accident.

But my hearing is not good on right side so i took Audiogram test as per my ENT doctor advice and found there a mixed hearing loss of server to profound stage. My doctor advice there is no cure and no hearing aid available to restore hearing in the right ear and i have to manage with left ear.

I just want to know is there anyway for treating and restoring the hearing loss in the right ear.

Please share your Advice  

Thanks
Murali

Answer
Murali,

A mixed loss indicates that some of the hearing loss is due to permanent damage and some is due to that ear being stopped up, probably from the collection of CSF behind the eardrum.
Usually there is treatment for clearing the fluid....sometimes time will allow the body to reabsorbed the fluid and it will heal on its own.  If it doesn't, an ENTbwill sometimes prescribe a antibiotic to try to dry up the fluid or will do surgery to place a tube through the eardrum to drain the fluid out from behind the drum.

Once the fluid is gone the hearing loss that was due to fluid should be resolved, however, the permanent part of the hearing loss will still be there.  Hopefully the CSF leak has repaired.  I have seen cases where the leak didn't repair and the patient had ear drainage and hearing problems until the ENT went in and repaired it.

Thank you for your question.
Kelley Linton, AuD
Doctor of Audiology     centerforhearing.net

Deafness/Hearing Impairment

Dr. Kelley Linton