Deafness/Hearing Impairment/is BERA Test Hamfull / dangerious

Question
QUESTION: my daughter age is 14 months . I am not satisfy the BERA test result. which shows Negative result . but some me and my wife feel that she respond . if I will repeat the BERA test 02 or 03 time, can it be the Harmful for the health of my daughter?

ANSWER: Amir,

There is no danger in repeating the BERA test itself.  It usually consist of placing electrodes on the surface of the skin (using sticking pads) and putting an earphone in each ear to hear the stimulus.  The only thing that could be harmful is the sedation used, if any.  Some clinics will sedate a child to test and some do not.  If sedation is used, typically it is a safe and mild sedation.  
The actual test does not cause any harm and can be performed multiple times without any fear of injury.

Thank you for your question.
Kelley Linton, AuD
Doctor of Audiology  

QUESTION: thanks a lot for the early reply. is there is any possibility that matter resolve without operation / place of hearing device ?  in the medical term how much time can a child get to listen or speak ?

History

I have 3 more children, all are by the grace of almighty Allah fine. I and my wife and both families are also ok.

regads

Answer
If it is determined that your child is truly deaf and the inner ear could be implanted with a Cochlear Implant (the usual surgery implant for deaf children) then it is best to do this as early as the surgeon recommends and is comfortable doing it.
Speech/Language and learning all rely on hearing ability and none will develop until your child can hear.  As long as your child is living in a quiet or deaf world, speech/language will not develop.  I have Cochlear Implant kids (my patients) that have grown up to attend college and perform in society as successful adults.  I have one such patient that is now a doctor and mother of two children of her own.  I have another who is a lawyer in New York.  They both were implanted with the surgery as infants and were in main streamed educational settings....just like their peers.  I have many others who have also been implanted at a very young age and are progressing just as their peers.

If you doubt the diagnosis of the complete hearing loss, please seek a second opinion.  That surgery is a life altering surgery and no professional physician should be upset that parents are worried and want a second opinion on such a serious diagnosis as permanent complete hearing loss.

Thank You.  

Deafness/Hearing Impairment

Dr. Kelley Linton