Deafness/Hearing Impairment/Hearing loss of my child

QUESTION: My 9 month child was performed bera and oe test and diagnosed mild mixed hearing loss.what we need to do at this time.

ANSWER: Dear Hassan,

I would need more information to answer this question.

1) "mixed hearing loss" could mean that there is fluid in the middle ear.  If so, and it was removed, then the results may be better than reported.  
2) Was Tympanometry done"?....  It should be in order to assess whether there is resolvable fluid in the middle ear.
3) What was the child's actual hearing thresholds?  In other words, how is the ENT or audiologist defining the words "mild".

In general a 9 month old child should be tested behaviorally as well as with ABR and OE, e.g., with Visual Response Audiometry (VRA), or Conditioned Orientation (COR)-- which may give additional and valuable information.

I would bring these points up to your audiologist, and together you can decide the best choice of intervention for your child.  Perhaps medical intervention is needed to resolve the middle ear condition. The audiologist may discuss the possibly hearing aids if the hearing loss is severe enough.

Set up an appointment with your audiologist ASAP and discuss these points with the professional.

Levi A. Reiter, Ph.D.

QUESTION: Dear Doctor.
Bera and or test were performed after fluid removal surgery in which tubes were placed to remove The fluid.Audiologist suggest me to wait for the month with out any hearing aid then come to me if child not respond then we will performed MRI to analysis 8th nerve thickness. Due to limitations for uploading only two reports were attached. If you want more information then kindly give me your email address I will send you. In Bera he has tested him on 30 db and wave was found.

Dear Hassan,

I think your audiologist is giving you good advice.  While you are waiting I would speak and vocalize a lot with your  child to stimulate his desire and ability to communicate verbally.  By 12-14 months of age, he/she should be saying some very simple, but meaningful words, like Mommy, Daddy, etc.

I would keep in contact with your audiologist over the next few months and follow her advice.  If possible I would ask the audiologist to do some behavioral testing, like VRA and COR.  These tests can also give valuable information that can add to what  BERA and TEOAEs can offer.

Good Luck.

Levi A. Reiter,  Ph.D.

Please rate this answer.

Deafness/Hearing Impairment

Levi A. Reiter, Ph.D.

I am a full Professor of Audiology at Hofstra University and also in private practice. I can answer questions regarding hearing loss, auditory diagnoses, hearing aids, assistive listening devices, deafness

I have been teaching audiology at Hofstra University for 33 years. I have been in private practice for 31 years. I do hearing assessments, auditory diagnostic tests which are physiological, e.g., ABR, OAEs, etc. I also have over 30 years experience in fitting, and dispensing hearing aids.

ASHA (American Speech-Language and Hearing Associaton AAA (American Academy of Audiology)

My articles have appeared in: Journal of Auditory Research J of Speech and Hearing Disorders J of Speech and Hearing Research The Hearing Journal J of the American Tinnitus Association The ASHA Leader Plus.......

I have a Ph.D. from the University of Rochester, and two post-doctoral fellowships from NIH and NICHD. I am Board Certified by the American Academy of Audiology, and hold a Certificate of Clinical Competence from the American Speech-Language and Hearing Association. I also have numerous professional publications in the field of Audiology.

Fellowship from the National Institute of Health Sciencess Fellowship from the National Institute of Child Development Scholarships from the U of Rochester, Connecticut College Faculty Development grants from Hofstra U. The Scholars Award from the American Academy of Audiology The ACE award from the American Speech & Hearing Association

Not sure what this means. I see clients of all ages and from all parts of the world.