Deafness/Hearing Impairment/Ear infection, can't hear

Question
About three weeks ago I had a severe throat infection thinking it was Strepp but it wasn't. A week later my ear started to hurt on the same side....pain was really bad, and couldn't hear out of it very well. Have tinnitus and it was much louder in that ear.... so after three days of it I went to the Dr. Who gave me antibiotics called Azrithomycin for 5 days.  I still did not have any relief from the pressure or loss of hearing but the pain wasn't as severe however in the next couple of days it was getting sore again and so was the other ear. Went back to the dr and was given Suprex for ten days. He said one ear was still  infected(can barely hear from that one, tinnitus loud, echo sound at times when people talk, popping sounds but no relief, more clogged when I try to chew gum or hold nose and blow gently)  and now the other one was infected (not as severe as the first one but sore at times, muffled hearing and won't pop). My concern is that this is not getting better at all even now that I've been five days into my second antibiotics. It is driving me crazy,and is not fun trying to teach children music when you can't hear yourself talk Rosing. Should I be heading back? How long can this last? Can this permanently damage my hearing? I called the ENTs office and if when referred it would be months before seeing him. Should they be puncturing my eardrum to drain it or is that even worse? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Michelle

Answer
Michelle,

It sounds like you are dealing with ear infections.  What happens is fluid builds up behind the eardrum causing you to feel the echoing, stopped up, tinnitus, etc.  If the fluid stays there long enough it becomes infected which causes pain and sometimes fever.  The antibiotics will kill the infection but will not always get rid of the fluid.  If the fluid stays around, it becomes infected again and then you have to have medication again.

The ENT may try another round of medication or they may put tubes in to drain the fluid.  Only the ENT can do that so you may want to get that appointment if the fluid doesn't resolve soon.

Thank you for your question.

Kelley Linton, AuD.   centerforhearing.net

Deafness/Hearing Impairment

Dr. Kelley Linton