Deafness/Hearing Impairment/Question reg middle ear infection

Question
Hello Mr Levi,

I am sorry if this is not within your area of expertise. I am still asking this because I did not find any other expert in the area of ear.

My father is 70 years old and is diabetic for the past 20 years. His sugar is quite in control..usually varies between 125 to 150 and he regularly walks long distances.

Since last one week he is not able to stand or walk. He updated me that he has been using a medication for Vertigo for the last 15 days. We did visit a doctor and he found that the ear is infected and advised him a CT scan on the head/ear and also a tablets : Cetrizine and drops to be put in the ear.

I think his middle ear and outer ear is infected and maybe it is getting tranfered into the cochlea. What do you suggest me to do ?
Can the 'imbalance' be rectified by any means ?

Thanks and Regards,
-Chandan

Answer
Chandan,

This is not Mr Levi....I'm not sure how I got this question, but I am Dr Linton and can answer the question also.  

It is true that infection can get in the "inner ear".  The balance system and the inner ear system share the same internal fluid so when infection gets in the inner ear it usually affects the balance system causing dizziness and vertigo.  This vertigo will usually resolve once the infection has cleared up.  Certainly if the vertigo/balance problems continue once medical treatment has stopped, then I would see an ENT specialist.  

Many times it is a matter of waiting until the infection clears before the patient feels in control of their balance again.

Thank you for your question.
Kelley Linton, AuD
Doctor of Audiology      centerforhearing.net

Deafness/Hearing Impairment

Dr. Kelley Linton