Deafness/Hearing Impairment/Unable to stand

Question
Hello Mr Levi,

I am sorry if this is not within your area of expertise. I am still asking this because I did not find any other expert in the area of ear.

My father is 70 years old and is diabetic for the past 20 years. His sugar is quite in control..usually varies between 125 to 150 and he regularly walks long distances.

Since last one week he is not able to stand or walk. He updated me that he has been using a medication for Vertigo for the last 15 days. We did visit a doctor and he found that the ear is infected and advised him a CT scan on the head/ear and also a tablets : Cetrizine and drops to be put in the ear.

I think his middle ear and outer ear is infected and maybe it is getting tranfered into the cochlea. What do you suggest me to do ?
Can the 'imbalance' be rectified by any means ?

Thanks and Regards,
-Chandan

Answer
Dear Chandon,

If you are saying that your father cannot stand or walk due to "vertigo"-- then I would ask  your father's physician why he prescribed .  Cetrizine is normally used to treat hay fever and other allergies, but not vertigo.  In a recent study (Feb 2014) 3.8% of people taking Cetrizine had Vertigo as a side effect.  The drug normally prescribed to treat the symptoms of vertigo is "antivert" or meclazine.

I agree with your father's doctor that you need to find out the origin of the vertigo.  If it coming from a problem in the inner ear (the vestibular organs) then the vertigo may lesson over time and hopefully disappear altogether.  However, the cause of the vertigo must be found before any sort of treatment is attempted.

Whether "vertigo" can be rectified depends very much on the location of the disorder.  If it is caused by a "peripheral" problem, for example, the inner ear's balance mechanisms, then there is usually effective treatment.  I would recommend getting you father to an ENT specialist who can evaluate him with a VNG (videonystagmography)protocol.  This is a non-invasive test which can help determine the site of the damage and how it can be treated.

The main thing is to have your father go to a highly recommended ENT (Otologist).

I hope the answer helps you and that your father has a full and speedy recovery.

Sincerely,

Dr. Levi Reiter

P.S. Please rate this answer.

Deafness/Hearing Impairment

Levi A. Reiter, Ph.D.