Deafness/Hearing Impairment/ear noise

Question
I have a constant hissing sound in my left ear.I went to a ENT specialist and to my surprise he said my hearing was fine.What could the noise becoming from if I have no hearing loss?Plus he said that I have no wax in front or behind the ear drum.My biggest problem is that I haven't sleept in 4 weeks.What brought it on was allergy symptoms.I went into a dusty crawl space underneath the house.I was sneezing and coughing and developed ear wax that was removed by my primary care physician.I had wax in both ears but I was left with a terrible hissing sound.The ENT specialist put me on steroids but that did nothing but make me hyper.Any questions that I should ask my ENT doctor the next time I see him?Also,what possible problems might I still have?I`m on high blood pressure and cholesterol medicine.

Answer
Dan,

Ringing in the ears, or tinnitus, is a symptom of something else happening in the body.  That is why there is no cure or treatment for it.....we have to find the cause of the tinnitus in order to control the tinnitus.
Hearing loss is the most common reason for tinnitus, and you have already had that checked and all is normal.  I would then look at medication and/or medication combinations.  That is the second most common reason for ear noises.  It may be something you discuss with your pharmacist.  Include all supplements and prescriptions and see if there are any of the combinations that might be triggering the noise.  Also, circulation and blood pressure problems can trigger tinnitus.  You might want to have all of that checked to make sure everything is stable.  Possibly the allergies caused some disruption in your blood pressure issues.  
On occasion, tinnitus will happen for unknown reasons.  Certainly monitor it and if it changes, gets worse and/or louder, let your doctor know.

Thank you for your question.
Kelley Linton, AuD
Doctor of Audiology

Deafness/Hearing Impairment

Dr. Kelley Linton