Deafness/Hearing Impairment/headphones

My friend Mary is extremely hard of hearing and her eyes are bad.  Closed captioning doesn't help much.  We bought cheap wireless headphones so that she could listen to the tv.  Frankly, they suck.  Her hearing aids are behind the ear, so she needs a full sized headphone.  Any suggestions?  Thank you in advance.

You're on the right track.  The best way to hear TV with severe hearing loss is no hearing aid and good earphones connected to the TV.  She will want to take the aids off because the will actually distort the sound coming through the earphones.  Get a good set of earphones that have enough volume for her loss and she will love hearing and understanding the TV.  You may have to go with a medical grade system if the radio-shack devices aren't strong enough....but we fit patients with these all the time.  Our local "office of the deaf and hearing impaired" (state funded office) has systems which they give to people.  Some brands of hearing aids can be connected directly to the TV and then the aids act as a personal this might be an option.
Her audiologist should also be a good source to provide options to resolve her TV listening problems.

Thank you for your question.
Kelley Linton, AuD

Deafness/Hearing Impairment

Dr. Kelley Linton

I'm an audiologist in private practice in Arkansas. I graduated from the University of Florida medical school. I specialize in hearing loss; hearing rehabilitation; hearing aids; noise induced hearing loss; occupational noise exposure; OSHA guidelines and regulations; hearing protection; tinnitis; newborn hearing testing; children and hearing loss and diagnosis and etiology of hearing loss.

I've been a practicing audiologist for 20 years and have owned a private practice for 14 years. I am also an audiologist in the United States Army where I teach DOD hearing conservation regulations and manage 3000 DOD employees at an army industrial facility.

Arkansas Academy of Audiology American Academy of Audiology Academy of Doctors of Audiology American Speech and Hearing Association National Hearing Conservation Association

Journal of the Academy of Audiology Southwest Times Record, Fort Smith, Arkansas Press Argus Courier, Van Buren, Arkansas

Au.D. - Doctor of Audiology, University of Florida American Academy of Audiology fellow member Audiology Board Certification American Speech and Hearing Association certification Arkansas State Audiology license-current CPT United States Army Medical Corps

American Speech and Hearing Association "ACE" award x 7 years United States Army Accommodation Award Arkansas Academy of Audiology elected board of director x 3 years Better community award, Fort Smith, AR for volunteer audiology service to free community health clinic

Serving newborn to geriatric ages.....unable to provide specific names.