Deafness/Hearing Impairment/wireless headphones

Question
My friend Mary is extremely hard of hearing and her eyes are bad.  Closed captioning doesn't help much.  We bought cheap wireless headphones so that she could listen to the tv.  Frankly, they suck.  Her hearing aids are behind the ear, so she needs a full sized headphone.  Any suggestions?  Thank you in advance.

Answer
Dear Amanda,

I have an excellent suggestion that will work well for Mary.  

There are hearing aids today which have special antennae which can receive direct streaming from her TV.

She will not need to use head phones or anything other than her own hearing aids, and she will be able to hear her TV as well as her hearing aids enable her to.

Of course, I do not know what specific hearing aids Mary is wearing, nor do I know what her audiograms look like.

However, if you provide me with that data, I can advise you how your can help your friend.

Mary can also ask her audiologist about how he/she can accomplish "wireless streaming" from her TV to her hearing aids.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Dr. Levi A. Reiter, Ph.D.

P.S.  Please rate this answer.

Deafness/Hearing Impairment

Levi A. Reiter, Ph.D.