Deafness/Hearing Impairment/Improving hearing

Question
Are there exercises to imrprove hearing? I am only 33 and have some trouble determining sound distance and direction. Makes driving with radio on a scary thing sometimes. lol. Also I don't have the range of frequencies I used to hear well. How can I improve these things?

Answer
James,

There isn't any way to recover your hearing once it is gone.  However, it is important to have a diagnostic hearing test to determine how much hearing you have lost and what type of hearing loss you have.  A "conductive" type of hearing loss is often treatable and can be resolved medically.  A "sensorineural" hearing loss is the more common, permanent hearing loss that is associated with noise exposure, aging and many other things.  If you have a sensorineural hearing loss there isn't any exercise or supplement that you can take that will bring back anything you have loss.  Prevention is the only help for hearing loss.

You are young to already have significant hearing loss, so I would recommend seeing an audiologist and let them determine the cause and degree of your loss.

Thank you for your question.
Kelley Linton, AuD
Doctor of Audiology    centerforhearing.net  

Deafness/Hearing Impairment

Dr. Kelley Linton