Deafness/Hearing Impairment/ear infection poss

Hiborn deaf in left ear.suffered snhearing loss in other ear 2 mos ago. Question being that hands are dirty I scratched my ear inside and forgot that my hands were not clean.will this lead to an infection .scared to death.please tell me what to do!how long to know if I am safe so to speak

Sorry about the delay....I didnt received your question until today.

If "snhearing loss" means sensorineural hearing loss , then it is a permanent hearing loss and is not expected to get better.

Putting dirty hands in your ear with a scratch can cause infection, but is a temporary hearing problem and will heal like any other scratch on your body.  Antibiotic ointment will help speed the healing as will an oral antibiotic.
It is very likely that an infection what happen at all. The skin in the outer ear canal is pretty tough and not that easily infected.

Thank you,
Kelley Linton, AuD
Doctor of Audiology  

Deafness/Hearing Impairment

Dr. Kelley Linton

I'm an audiologist in private practice in Arkansas. I graduated from the University of Florida medical school. I specialize in hearing loss; hearing rehabilitation; hearing aids; noise induced hearing loss; occupational noise exposure; OSHA guidelines and regulations; hearing protection; tinnitis; newborn hearing testing; children and hearing loss and diagnosis and etiology of hearing loss.

I've been a practicing audiologist for 20 years and have owned a private practice for 14 years. I am also an audiologist in the United States Army where I teach DOD hearing conservation regulations and manage 3000 DOD employees at an army industrial facility.

Arkansas Academy of Audiology American Academy of Audiology Academy of Doctors of Audiology American Speech and Hearing Association National Hearing Conservation Association

Journal of the Academy of Audiology Southwest Times Record, Fort Smith, Arkansas Press Argus Courier, Van Buren, Arkansas

Au.D. - Doctor of Audiology, University of Florida American Academy of Audiology fellow member Audiology Board Certification American Speech and Hearing Association certification Arkansas State Audiology license-current CPT United States Army Medical Corps

American Speech and Hearing Association "ACE" award x 7 years United States Army Accommodation Award Arkansas Academy of Audiology elected board of director x 3 years Better community award, Fort Smith, AR for volunteer audiology service to free community health clinic

Serving newborn to geriatric ages.....unable to provide specific names.