Deafness/Hearing Impairment/Inner Ear

Hi ,

I am wondering if 5 months is a long time to still have balance issues. As I have the fullness in one ear and tinnitus in one ear, with unbalance issues, is it possible that I have menieres? I haven't had any spinning, only brief episodes of dizziness lasting about a minute.

It seems the fluid in middle ear is ok....but was mentioned that it could be in the inner ear? Im rather worried by all this as it seems not to be getting better.....just now with the addition of tinnitus!

Thank you

5 months is a long time but not necessarily unusual.  If you have an inner ear infection then it can last a long time.
It results in dizziness and fullness and tinnitus.  Often treated with medication and time.

Meniere's is also a possibility.  If it is Meniere' can last a lifetime or a short time.  There is no prediction as to how long or intense the symptoms will be or last with Meniere's.  The symptoms can also fluctuate....dizzy today, tinnitus tomorrow, hearing loss up and down, etc.

I would certainly keep any ENT physician appointments you have.  If you haven't seen an ENT, definitely make an appointment with one so they can verify your symptoms and treat you accordingly.

Thank you for your question.
Kelley Linton, AuD

Deafness/Hearing Impairment

Dr. Kelley Linton

I'm an audiologist in private practice in Arkansas. I graduated from the University of Florida medical school. I specialize in hearing loss; hearing rehabilitation; hearing aids; noise induced hearing loss; occupational noise exposure; OSHA guidelines and regulations; hearing protection; tinnitis; newborn hearing testing; children and hearing loss and diagnosis and etiology of hearing loss.

I've been a practicing audiologist for 20 years and have owned a private practice for 14 years. I am also an audiologist in the United States Army where I teach DOD hearing conservation regulations and manage 3000 DOD employees at an army industrial facility.

Arkansas Academy of Audiology American Academy of Audiology Academy of Doctors of Audiology American Speech and Hearing Association National Hearing Conservation Association

Journal of the Academy of Audiology Southwest Times Record, Fort Smith, Arkansas Press Argus Courier, Van Buren, Arkansas

Au.D. - Doctor of Audiology, University of Florida American Academy of Audiology fellow member Audiology Board Certification American Speech and Hearing Association certification Arkansas State Audiology license-current CPT United States Army Medical Corps

American Speech and Hearing Association "ACE" award x 7 years United States Army Accommodation Award Arkansas Academy of Audiology elected board of director x 3 years Better community award, Fort Smith, AR for volunteer audiology service to free community health clinic

Serving newborn to geriatric ages.....unable to provide specific names.