Deafness/Hearing Impairment/Inner Ear

Question
Hi ,

I am wondering if 5 months is a long time to still have balance issues. As I have the fullness in one ear and tinnitus in one ear, with unbalance issues, is it possible that I have menieres? I haven't had any spinning, only brief episodes of dizziness lasting about a minute.

It seems the fluid in middle ear is ok....but was mentioned that it could be in the inner ear? Im rather worried by all this as it seems not to be getting better.....just now with the addition of tinnitus!

Thank you

Answer
Lou,

5 months is a long time but not necessarily unusual.  If you have an inner ear infection then it can last a long time.
It results in dizziness and fullness and tinnitus.  Often treated with medication and time.

Meniere's is also a possibility.  If it is Meniere's....it can last a lifetime or a short time.  There is no prediction as to how long or intense the symptoms will be or last with Meniere's.  The symptoms can also fluctuate....dizzy today, tinnitus tomorrow, hearing loss up and down, etc.

I would certainly keep any ENT physician appointments you have.  If you haven't seen an ENT, definitely make an appointment with one so they can verify your symptoms and treat you accordingly.

Thank you for your question.
Kelley Linton, AuD
centerforhearing.net

Deafness/Hearing Impairment

Dr. Kelley Linton