Deafness/Hearing Impairment/Feeling tunning sound in ear

Question
QUESTION: Hello Doctor,

Few days back I was in a quite room in hills on a vacation and i was feeling a continuous tunning sound in my ears. The same sound I use to feel when I use to press my ears with both hands. During night too when I am going to sleep I use to hear such sound. I want to know if it is normal ? or am I having any problem in my ears. I am a 27 yrs old male. I use to feel it more when I pay attention to it or it is quite. Before the vacation I don't use to feel it.

Kindly provide your consultation.

Thanks,

SK

ANSWER: SK,

It is likely that there is nothing to worry about.  Our ears will make noise, especially at night.  There are some things that can trigger an increase in the noises: too much caffeine, smoking, alcohol, pain killers, stress, new medication and/or circulation problems.  

I would reflect back and see if there was anything else going on when the noises started.  Lack of sleep and stress are the most common issues with young people.  If you can think of nothing that would cause the increase, and you feel your ears are making more noise than is acceptable, I would schedule an appointment with an audiologist and have a diagnostic hearing evaluation to determine if there is any permanent hearing loss causing your symptoms.

Thank you for your question.

Kelley Linton, AuD
Doctor of Audiology
centerforhearing.net

QUESTION: Hello Doctor,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Do I need to look out for any other symptoms apart from ringing sound? It is happening in both the ears and is felt more when I use to close my ears with hands and of course during quite nights.

Awaiting your response.

Thanks.

SK

Answer
there isn't anything else to watch, if the ringing is your only symptom.  It is normal to hear those sounds when you put your hands over your ears...so nothing to worry about there.  usually the noise is louder at night before sleep...so nothing unusual there.

However, if you are worried, I would seek a consultation appointment with an audiologist to have your ears medically evaluated to see if there is any serious underlying problem that might be causing the noise.  

Deafness/Hearing Impairment

Dr. Kelley Linton