Deafness/Hearing Impairment/hearing loss

Dr. good evening

Have following concerning question. I am deaf in left ear and suffered sudden hearing loss in right ear which was thankfully reversed. Have mild loss at 8000hz.

I try my best to protect my hearing I avoid all loud noises to the best of my ability ( won't even go to the tube station) sometimes though stuff happens like today. I was walking with my children in a quiet street when a small truck which had junk in it fell into a ditch apparently and produced a loud noise for an instant . I am upset hope it didnt damage my hearing.

Should I worry?

Sorry for the delay in response, I've been out of town.

You are right to be concerned about your good ear and you want to protect it around any loud continuous noise.  Fortunately, brief loud sounds, like you described, usually do not cause permanent hearing loss.  Brief very loud sounds, such as a gun shot, can cause permanent hearing loss with only one exposure.  Usually, you have to be exposed to loud sounds, such as you described, for an extended amount of time before the damage occurs.

Good rule of thumb: if you have to yell to be heard a meter away, then it is dangerously loud and you should protect your hearing.

Thank you for your question.

Kelley Linton, AuD
Doctor of Audiology

Deafness/Hearing Impairment

Dr. Kelley Linton

I'm an audiologist in private practice in Arkansas. I graduated from the University of Florida medical school. I specialize in hearing loss; hearing rehabilitation; hearing aids; noise induced hearing loss; occupational noise exposure; OSHA guidelines and regulations; hearing protection; tinnitis; newborn hearing testing; children and hearing loss and diagnosis and etiology of hearing loss.

I've been a practicing audiologist for 20 years and have owned a private practice for 14 years. I am also an audiologist in the United States Army where I teach DOD hearing conservation regulations and manage 3000 DOD employees at an army industrial facility.

Arkansas Academy of Audiology American Academy of Audiology Academy of Doctors of Audiology American Speech and Hearing Association National Hearing Conservation Association

Journal of the Academy of Audiology Southwest Times Record, Fort Smith, Arkansas Press Argus Courier, Van Buren, Arkansas

Au.D. - Doctor of Audiology, University of Florida American Academy of Audiology fellow member Audiology Board Certification American Speech and Hearing Association certification Arkansas State Audiology license-current CPT United States Army Medical Corps

American Speech and Hearing Association "ACE" award x 7 years United States Army Accommodation Award Arkansas Academy of Audiology elected board of director x 3 years Better community award, Fort Smith, AR for volunteer audiology service to free community health clinic

Serving newborn to geriatric ages.....unable to provide specific names.