Deafness/Hearing Impairment/loud sound.

Hello. Thank you for advice. I have a question for you
I was playing around with my family tonight and my husband hit me on the shoulder with an empty tablet case (totally joking ) It was loud and for a split second there was a high pitched sound. Did that sound damage my hearing. I do suffer from tinnitus since 2 years and fear for my hearing. I believe it must have been around 90 decibel the noise. My lifestyle is otherwise pretty low in noises. I am so scared right now....

There should be no danger in permanent hearing loss from the single loud sound around 90 decibels.  Normally you would have to be around that intensity for a few hours before permanent damage would occur.   The spontaneous tinnitus might have been from the sudden intense sound, but again, I wouldn't think it would be a permanent issue.

Thank you for your question.

Kelley Linton, AuD
Doctor of Audiology

Deafness/Hearing Impairment

Dr. Kelley Linton

I'm an audiologist in private practice in Arkansas. I graduated from the University of Florida medical school. I specialize in hearing loss; hearing rehabilitation; hearing aids; noise induced hearing loss; occupational noise exposure; OSHA guidelines and regulations; hearing protection; tinnitis; newborn hearing testing; children and hearing loss and diagnosis and etiology of hearing loss.

I've been a practicing audiologist for 20 years and have owned a private practice for 14 years. I am also an audiologist in the United States Army where I teach DOD hearing conservation regulations and manage 3000 DOD employees at an army industrial facility.

Arkansas Academy of Audiology American Academy of Audiology Academy of Doctors of Audiology American Speech and Hearing Association National Hearing Conservation Association

Journal of the Academy of Audiology Southwest Times Record, Fort Smith, Arkansas Press Argus Courier, Van Buren, Arkansas

Au.D. - Doctor of Audiology, University of Florida American Academy of Audiology fellow member Audiology Board Certification American Speech and Hearing Association certification Arkansas State Audiology license-current CPT United States Army Medical Corps

American Speech and Hearing Association "ACE" award x 7 years United States Army Accommodation Award Arkansas Academy of Audiology elected board of director x 3 years Better community award, Fort Smith, AR for volunteer audiology service to free community health clinic

Serving newborn to geriatric ages.....unable to provide specific names.