Deafness/Hearing Impairment/Feeling tunning sound in ear

QUESTION: Hello Doctor,

From the past few days I am continuously hearing ringing sounds in my both ears. I had asked this question to you before also. The sound increases when i use to chew something or open my jaws wider. Also it increases or becomes shriller when i use to press down my head hard. I had wax removed droppings and even had anti-inflammatory and antbiotics for few days but the ringing is still persisting. I consulted an ENT specialist and had my audiometry test done.The result was normal and my hearing is within normal range. My ear drums are also intact. My doctor didnt prescribe me anything. I am continuously hearing these ringing and want to know what could be the reason? Are there any other specific tests that I need to undergo or any medications I should  try to get relieved.

Kindly provide your consultation.

It's good that you  had your ears checked and your hearing is normal.  The ringing could be a symptom of many things, however, probably nothing serious.  Going to the doctor should have ruled out anything serious.  
It is possible the fluctuation of the eustachian tube as you chew and open your jaw is changing the tone and intensity of the tinnitus.  This isn't a serious condition and may just be part of your anatomy.  The other thing to look at is any changes in medication or introduction of a new medication.  Medication, stress, excessive caffeine, nicotine, alcohol and circulation fluctuations as well as many other things, can cause the tinnitus.  
These is no cure for the tinnitus.  Sometimes using an amplification device, such as a mild amplifying hearing aid, will help the brain not focus on the tinnitus therefore making it more tolerable during the day.

Thank you for your question.
Kelley Linton, AuD
Doctor of Audiology

QUESTION: Hello Doctor,

Thanks for your reply.

Can this ringing be due to weakening of any nerve in the ear or any nerve getting pressed? Or as mentioned any problem with eustachian tube? One thing more, after bathing or when I use to wake up from sleep the ringing sound seems to be very less but later becomes noticeable. Do I need to undergo deep ear imaging etc?

Awaiting your response.

Thanks & Regards,

It's not from weakening of the nerve...that is what the audiological testing looks for.  Eustachian tube issues usually resolve on their own, so no need to do anything special there.  Decreased symptoms after bathing and sleeping indicates that the tinnitus is anxiety driven.  Try not to focus on the tinnitus.  The more you think about it and focus on it, the louder and more prevalent it will become.  I do not think there is any need for deeper imaging.  There are things your doctors were looking for that would indicate the need for MRI...and they did not feel it was needed based on your test results and medical health.

Deafness/Hearing Impairment

Dr. Kelley Linton

I'm an audiologist in private practice in Arkansas. I graduated from the University of Florida medical school. I specialize in hearing loss; hearing rehabilitation; hearing aids; noise induced hearing loss; occupational noise exposure; OSHA guidelines and regulations; hearing protection; tinnitis; newborn hearing testing; children and hearing loss and diagnosis and etiology of hearing loss.

I've been a practicing audiologist for 20 years and have owned a private practice for 14 years. I am also an audiologist in the United States Army where I teach DOD hearing conservation regulations and manage 3000 DOD employees at an army industrial facility.

Arkansas Academy of Audiology American Academy of Audiology Academy of Doctors of Audiology American Speech and Hearing Association National Hearing Conservation Association

Journal of the Academy of Audiology Southwest Times Record, Fort Smith, Arkansas Press Argus Courier, Van Buren, Arkansas

Au.D. - Doctor of Audiology, University of Florida American Academy of Audiology fellow member Audiology Board Certification American Speech and Hearing Association certification Arkansas State Audiology license-current CPT United States Army Medical Corps

American Speech and Hearing Association "ACE" award x 7 years United States Army Accommodation Award Arkansas Academy of Audiology elected board of director x 3 years Better community award, Fort Smith, AR for volunteer audiology service to free community health clinic

Serving newborn to geriatric ages.....unable to provide specific names.