Deafness/Hearing Impairment/Tinnitus

About a day and a half ago, I went to my first concert that was relatively loud. It was a small venue, so I ended up being relatively close to the speakers. Since then, my left ear has been constantly ringing. As a seventeen year old male, this is the first time this has happened to me. Do people normally recover from noise-induced tinnitus? If so, in about how long? Is there anything I can do to speed up recovery? Thank you.

Tinnitus is often the sign that your ears have been exposed to dangerously loud sounds and potentially will suffer permanent hearing damage.  
It sounds like you were around dangerously loud sounds from what you have described. The ear will possible recover or it may be left with permanent damage.  If often takes several weeks before you know if the damage is permanent.  One thing to try is see if your doctor or ENT will prescribe a round of steroids for you to take orally.  This is the only thing we have seen work on occasion in the past.  The steroid just gives the auditory nerve more strength to recover if it can.  This doesn't always work, but sometimes it will lessen the amount of tinnitus and/or hearing loss.

Please wear hearing protection in these venue's from now on.  There is no regulation in the United States on sound intensity in music settings and many people suffer permanent damage from the loud exposure.  The are awesome custom ear plugs which are tiny and fit deep in the canal (can't be seen) and can be used for a lifetime.  Many even have filters so you can still hear your friends talking but not suffer the hearing damage.

Thank you for your question.  Kelley Linton, AuD  

Deafness/Hearing Impairment

Dr. Kelley Linton

I'm an audiologist in private practice in Arkansas. I graduated from the University of Florida medical school. I specialize in hearing loss; hearing rehabilitation; hearing aids; noise induced hearing loss; occupational noise exposure; OSHA guidelines and regulations; hearing protection; tinnitis; newborn hearing testing; children and hearing loss and diagnosis and etiology of hearing loss.

I've been a practicing audiologist for 20 years and have owned a private practice for 14 years. I am also an audiologist in the United States Army where I teach DOD hearing conservation regulations and manage 3000 DOD employees at an army industrial facility.

Arkansas Academy of Audiology American Academy of Audiology Academy of Doctors of Audiology American Speech and Hearing Association National Hearing Conservation Association

Journal of the Academy of Audiology Southwest Times Record, Fort Smith, Arkansas Press Argus Courier, Van Buren, Arkansas

Au.D. - Doctor of Audiology, University of Florida American Academy of Audiology fellow member Audiology Board Certification American Speech and Hearing Association certification Arkansas State Audiology license-current CPT United States Army Medical Corps

American Speech and Hearing Association "ACE" award x 7 years United States Army Accommodation Award Arkansas Academy of Audiology elected board of director x 3 years Better community award, Fort Smith, AR for volunteer audiology service to free community health clinic

Serving newborn to geriatric ages.....unable to provide specific names.