Deafness/Hearing Impairment/MY EAR/JAW or ?

Question
Looking for help and reassurance here, I have been having balance problems for some time, It starts with a strange feeling in the side of the jaw like my ear has lost equilibrium and then I walk like I am going to fall .I feel this quick fall to the side sensation  and I jerk myself back, other times I sit on the floor real quick until the feeling goes away, The last 10 days I have been having these feelings everyday all day. I went to three Doctors in 2 days I was petrified, One Doctor said I had a ruptured ear drum on one side and fluid on the other ear, the other Doctor said I had no fluid in one ear and a slight swelling in the other. The third Doctor said my ears were clear. Now today I feel like I may have an abscess in the jaw or Eustachian tubes as it is stinging slightly under the ear. I am so scared My tonsil does feel sore(right one) and I do get tonsils stones
Even sitting here I get a rocking off balance sensation .What could this be
Anyone else experience this
I did have a strange thing happen the night before I went to the second Doctor, I was panicking and pacing lifted my head up and this strange bitter taste came flowing from the back of my nose into my throat and for a little while my balance improved. Could the fluid in my ear have drained out the back of my nose, That would explain why the second Doctor did not see fluid in the ear canal. I am deaf or frequency deafness although I have not been tested in years >the Doctor has made me an appointment to have a hearing test, I did have a throat virus that took my voice away about 5 weeks ago could this be related, my jaw is hurting and I am scared
Regards Helen

Answer
Helen,

Many of your symptoms sound related, which is a good thing...and hopefully they will resolve together.  It is possible the fluid build up has caused the balance problems and swelling that was seen.  Yes, the fluid is possibly already gone...it can be gone very quickly.  Eustachian tube dysfunction can be the cause of the fluid as well as the pain below your ear.  It can also be the problem associated with your throat irritation.  Often times medication will take care of those issues.  Antibiotic or antihistamines or decongestants.  Medication options will be determined by your physician.

An infected tooth could cause many of the symptoms you have described as well.  Certainly if everything checks out with your ears then I would consider having your teeth checked.

The perforation in the eardrum is a concern.  You may need to see an ENT (ear nose and throat) specialist to see if that needs to be repaired or if it is repairing on its own (most repair on their own).  The hearing test will reveal if the eardrum hole is still there and also if the fluid is still there.  Keep that appointment for sure.

The symptoms sound like things that can all be resolved.  Just see the doctor and continue with their recommendations.

Thank you for your question and good luck.  
Kelley Linton, AuD
centerforhearing.net

Deafness/Hearing Impairment

Dr. Kelley Linton