Deafness/Hearing Impairment/Mild to Moderate Hearing Loss

Question
Dear Sir/madam,
My son is born on 30th oct 2014. On 31st oct 2014, when OAE screening is done then left ear was PASS but right was REFER.
         Then, on 13th April 2015,we again done the OAE in same hospital but again result was REFER.Doctor advised us to do BERA in private clinic.
On 15th April 2015, we did BERA but result was MILD TO MODERATE HEARING LOSS.
Again, doctor advised us to do further tests like ASSR,BOA, Diagnostic OAE, Tympo etc.

And now after all these tests, they are telling us to fit earing aid and to take some special classes.

But whenever we do any interaction with our child, all the time he gives responses so we are confused...what to do further.
kindly suggest..if you want to see the reports then I can send the scanned copies.
Thanks & Regards
Laadi Dogra

Answer
Laadi,

Based on the results you have presented it sounds like your son has hearing loss in just the right ear.  It is good that the doctors did a series of tests and used different tests and compiled the results together before making the decision to fit a hearing aid.  Using the multiple tests over multiple test days is the best way to make sure it is a true permanent hearing loss.
If the left ear is normal then you will see normal responses to sounds and voices in your child, however, he will not be able to fully developed auditory processing in the brain (takes hearing in both ears) and he will struggle to learn speech correctly.  Children with hearing loss in one ear are 10 times more likely to fail a grade in school and fall behind their peers educationally.  Kids with hearing loss in one ear can easily fool us.....they seem to be developing normally without a hearing aid until they are older and then we realize their brain and auditory system suffered from lack of stimulation on the impaired side and by that time we have lost many valuable years.
It is extremely exhausting to try to hear and understand communication with only one good ear.  Without a hearing aid your son will struggle, even though he may appear fine on the outside he will be working much harder than his peers just to hear normal conversation.  School, growing up and learning is difficult enough with perfect hearing....the hearing aid will give him every opportunity to be as successful as his classmates.

Thank you for your question.
Kelley Linton, AuD
Doctor of Audiology    Centerforhearing.net

Deafness/Hearing Impairment

Dr. Kelley Linton