Deafness/Hearing Impairment/don't hear car noise when lean into it

This is a very off the wall question. I've been hearing a faint crackling noise from inside my car since I bought it a year ago. It sounds like it's coming from the passenger door handle area and even though it's very faint, it is there most of the time and drives me nuts. Nothing is actually loose, so I can only guess it is due to atmospheric factors, like temperature, humidity, etc. Here's the weird part. While I'm driving, if I lean my body/head to the center of the car (to hear exactly where it's coming from), I don't hear it at all! Bizarre I know. It's like magic, I'll hear it driving, then lean over and no sound at all. I obviously can't drive around leaning to the right, but I can't for the life of me figure out why I hear it while sitting normally in the driver's seat, but not when I lean over. Before you click 'but this is outside my expertise,' if you can provide any idea or insight as to what is going on, anything at all, I would greatly appreciate it.

First thing I would do, is determine if it is your car or your ear.  Lean in other moving vehicles, have someone else listen in your car, vary the speed and see if the noise changes (indicating some type of air leak) or see if there is any way to replicate the condition in another environment besides your car.

If it's your car, I have nothing to offer.  If it's your ear, it will be related to middle ear pressure and Eustachian tube function.  Maybe allergy problems or some type of pathology which should be checked by an ENT.

Kelley Linton, AuD
Doctor of Audiology

Deafness/Hearing Impairment

Dr. Kelley Linton

I'm an audiologist in private practice in Arkansas. I graduated from the University of Florida medical school. I specialize in hearing loss; hearing rehabilitation; hearing aids; noise induced hearing loss; occupational noise exposure; OSHA guidelines and regulations; hearing protection; tinnitis; newborn hearing testing; children and hearing loss and diagnosis and etiology of hearing loss.

I've been a practicing audiologist for 20 years and have owned a private practice for 14 years. I am also an audiologist in the United States Army where I teach DOD hearing conservation regulations and manage 3000 DOD employees at an army industrial facility.

Arkansas Academy of Audiology American Academy of Audiology Academy of Doctors of Audiology American Speech and Hearing Association National Hearing Conservation Association

Journal of the Academy of Audiology Southwest Times Record, Fort Smith, Arkansas Press Argus Courier, Van Buren, Arkansas

Au.D. - Doctor of Audiology, University of Florida American Academy of Audiology fellow member Audiology Board Certification American Speech and Hearing Association certification Arkansas State Audiology license-current CPT United States Army Medical Corps

American Speech and Hearing Association "ACE" award x 7 years United States Army Accommodation Award Arkansas Academy of Audiology elected board of director x 3 years Better community award, Fort Smith, AR for volunteer audiology service to free community health clinic

Serving newborn to geriatric ages.....unable to provide specific names.