Deafness/Hearing Impairment/urgent question for hearing. Please reply

Hi. I am very upset need your advice. I suffered sudden hearing loss in right ear last May.  Recovered really well with only loss at 8000 hz with massive steroids.  Have been trying to protect my ear since i  am deaf by birth on left ear.  Today though I attended my children's Sunday school fest and suddenly a lot of church bells started ringing!  I did wear a silicone ear plug before I left home and pressed on it more during those 2 minutes but I don't know if it protected me. Should I visit my ent? Is it possible I damaged my hearing further??

If you had any type of earplug in, it is unlikely that any damage occurred.  It also sounds like the duration of loud exposure was pretty short so that means it is less likely that any damage occurred.

If you feel your hearing is worse, then certainly see an ENT, or if you notice any new head noises then see an ENT.

Thank you for your question.

Kelley Linton, AuD
Doctor of Audiology  

Deafness/Hearing Impairment

Dr. Kelley Linton

I'm an audiologist in private practice in Arkansas. I graduated from the University of Florida medical school. I specialize in hearing loss; hearing rehabilitation; hearing aids; noise induced hearing loss; occupational noise exposure; OSHA guidelines and regulations; hearing protection; tinnitis; newborn hearing testing; children and hearing loss and diagnosis and etiology of hearing loss.

I've been a practicing audiologist for 20 years and have owned a private practice for 14 years. I am also an audiologist in the United States Army where I teach DOD hearing conservation regulations and manage 3000 DOD employees at an army industrial facility.

Arkansas Academy of Audiology American Academy of Audiology Academy of Doctors of Audiology American Speech and Hearing Association National Hearing Conservation Association

Journal of the Academy of Audiology Southwest Times Record, Fort Smith, Arkansas Press Argus Courier, Van Buren, Arkansas

Au.D. - Doctor of Audiology, University of Florida American Academy of Audiology fellow member Audiology Board Certification American Speech and Hearing Association certification Arkansas State Audiology license-current CPT United States Army Medical Corps

American Speech and Hearing Association "ACE" award x 7 years United States Army Accommodation Award Arkansas Academy of Audiology elected board of director x 3 years Better community award, Fort Smith, AR for volunteer audiology service to free community health clinic

Serving newborn to geriatric ages.....unable to provide specific names.