Deafness/Hearing Impairment/Ear Clogging

Question
Hi Doctor,
I suffered from bad ear clogging for almost 2 days to my left ear which did not pain but I could feel like vaccum pressure created inside.   I turned almost deaf to my left ear.  Yesterday, I went to ENT specialist who did ear syringing to my left ear & removed the clog & prescribed me CLINWAX (contents : paradichlorobenzene 2 % w/v, benzocaine 2.7 % w/v, chlorbutol 5 % w/v, turpentine oil 15 % w/v).  My question is whether CLINWAX is a safe medicine to take during pregnancy coz I am 25 weeks expecting.  Please confirm.  If not, what else I can have.

Thanks

Shaveta

Answer
Shaveta,

Drug precautions aren't my speciality, but based on experience I do not think that is a dangerous drug as long as it is not used in excess or for long periods of time.  It has a pain reliever (numbing agent) in it.... so the idea is to use for a brief time to relieve pain and discomfort while your ear heals.
I would try to verify that the prescribing doctor knew you were pregnant.  If you are still worried, I would talk to the pharmacist as they are considered the expert in drugs and drug safety.

Thank you for your question.
Kelley Linton
Doctor of Audiology  

Deafness/Hearing Impairment

Dr. Kelley Linton