Deafness/Hearing Impairment/ear infection

Hi!  Dr I have a question . I am deaf in left ear.  Last year I suffered sshloss in right ear which thankfully was reversed with massive steroids.  Since I have been a bit paranoid. I had an itch and put my finger in for a minute and then realized I shouldn't have.  Is there a chance of infection???

There is always a chance of infection if you accidentally cut you ear canal skin with your nail.  If you are worried about this you can use a little triple antibiotic ointment on a Q-tip in your canal to keep any infection away or you can flush your ear with hydrogen-peroxide and warm water which is also effective.

Thank you for your question.

Kelley Linton, AuD
Doctor of Audiology  

Deafness/Hearing Impairment

Dr. Kelley Linton

I'm an audiologist in private practice in Arkansas. I graduated from the University of Florida medical school. I specialize in hearing loss; hearing rehabilitation; hearing aids; noise induced hearing loss; occupational noise exposure; OSHA guidelines and regulations; hearing protection; tinnitis; newborn hearing testing; children and hearing loss and diagnosis and etiology of hearing loss.

I've been a practicing audiologist for 20 years and have owned a private practice for 14 years. I am also an audiologist in the United States Army where I teach DOD hearing conservation regulations and manage 3000 DOD employees at an army industrial facility.

Arkansas Academy of Audiology American Academy of Audiology Academy of Doctors of Audiology American Speech and Hearing Association National Hearing Conservation Association

Journal of the Academy of Audiology Southwest Times Record, Fort Smith, Arkansas Press Argus Courier, Van Buren, Arkansas

Au.D. - Doctor of Audiology, University of Florida American Academy of Audiology fellow member Audiology Board Certification American Speech and Hearing Association certification Arkansas State Audiology license-current CPT United States Army Medical Corps

American Speech and Hearing Association "ACE" award x 7 years United States Army Accommodation Award Arkansas Academy of Audiology elected board of director x 3 years Better community award, Fort Smith, AR for volunteer audiology service to free community health clinic

Serving newborn to geriatric ages.....unable to provide specific names.