Deafness/Hearing Impairment/ear infection

Question
Hi!  Dr I have a question . I am deaf in left ear.  Last year I suffered sshloss in right ear which thankfully was reversed with massive steroids.  Since I have been a bit paranoid. I had an itch and put my finger in for a minute and then realized I shouldn't have.  Is there a chance of infection???

Answer
Anta,

There is always a chance of infection if you accidentally cut you ear canal skin with your nail.  If you are worried about this you can use a little triple antibiotic ointment on a Q-tip in your canal to keep any infection away or you can flush your ear with hydrogen-peroxide and warm water which is also effective.

Thank you for your question.

Kelley Linton, AuD
Doctor of Audiology  

Deafness/Hearing Impairment

Dr. Kelley Linton