Deafness/Hearing Impairment/hearing

Hello.  Thanks for service.  My question is this. I was keeping my ear shut with my finger to avoid something loud but I yawned and my jaw cracked (while my ear was shut)and I heard a loud crack.  Would that damage my hearing??  Same ear had sudden hearing loss over a year ago but was reversed. Thank you!!

No that should not cause any damage to your ear.  

Holding your fingers in your ears and then swallowing just put the Eustachian tube in an awkward position.  When we swallow, the Eustachian tube will open and close.  As it does this it causes a change in pressure and the pressure relief point is the eardrum.  When you have your fingers tightly in your ears, you cause an airtight seal (which is good to keep noise out) and this doesn't allow the eardrum to flex when the Eustachian tube opens and closes.  There is typically no harm done.  You may feel stopped up for a short time until the Eustachian tube can open and close again, restoring normal pressure.  You may hear a loud "popping" or cracking due to the Eustachian tube trying to open.

Thank you for your question.

Kelley Linton, AuD
Doctor of Audiology

Deafness/Hearing Impairment

Dr. Kelley Linton

I'm an audiologist in private practice in Arkansas. I graduated from the University of Florida medical school. I specialize in hearing loss; hearing rehabilitation; hearing aids; noise induced hearing loss; occupational noise exposure; OSHA guidelines and regulations; hearing protection; tinnitis; newborn hearing testing; children and hearing loss and diagnosis and etiology of hearing loss.

I've been a practicing audiologist for 20 years and have owned a private practice for 14 years. I am also an audiologist in the United States Army where I teach DOD hearing conservation regulations and manage 3000 DOD employees at an army industrial facility.

Arkansas Academy of Audiology American Academy of Audiology Academy of Doctors of Audiology American Speech and Hearing Association National Hearing Conservation Association

Journal of the Academy of Audiology Southwest Times Record, Fort Smith, Arkansas Press Argus Courier, Van Buren, Arkansas

Au.D. - Doctor of Audiology, University of Florida American Academy of Audiology fellow member Audiology Board Certification American Speech and Hearing Association certification Arkansas State Audiology license-current CPT United States Army Medical Corps

American Speech and Hearing Association "ACE" award x 7 years United States Army Accommodation Award Arkansas Academy of Audiology elected board of director x 3 years Better community award, Fort Smith, AR for volunteer audiology service to free community health clinic

Serving newborn to geriatric ages.....unable to provide specific names.