Deafness/Hearing Impairment/Hello Dr. Linton

Hello, I currently have the flu and the coughing is endless. During the night time I guess I was trying to hold the cough in so that I wouldn't wake my spouse who already lost 3 nights of sleep. I perforated my membrane in the process ( lost some hearing in the ear)- that is what my general doctor told me and she prescribed "Neomycin and Polymyxin B sulfates and Hydrocortisone Otic Suspension USP." I was just about to use it when I got a feeling to check the brochure that comes with it - and it said that it should NOT be used in any patient with a perforated tympanic membrane. I'm confused and I will call her tomorrow but I just wanted a second opinion since I do not have insurance. Thank you.

It is not recommended that anything be put in the ear canal with a perforated eardrum.  The perf will allow the substance (medicine or water or any liquid) to flow directly into the middle ear space and this can cause discomfort as the middle ear space should remain sealed up and air filled only.  The drops can often cause discomfort if they reach the middle ear space through the hole in the eardrum.
I would call the doctor tomorrow and just verify that they do indeed want you to put drops in your ear.  You may also verify that you really have a perforation....sometimes the doctor will just speculate that that has occurred.  
If you are instructed to go ahead and use the drops, let your doctor know immediately if you experience any pain or irritation.  It isn't poisonous to the inner ear, just uncomfortable.  

Thank you for your question.
Kelley Linton, AuD
Doctor of Audiology

Deafness/Hearing Impairment

Dr. Kelley Linton

I'm an audiologist in private practice in Arkansas. I graduated from the University of Florida medical school. I specialize in hearing loss; hearing rehabilitation; hearing aids; noise induced hearing loss; occupational noise exposure; OSHA guidelines and regulations; hearing protection; tinnitis; newborn hearing testing; children and hearing loss and diagnosis and etiology of hearing loss.

I've been a practicing audiologist for 20 years and have owned a private practice for 14 years. I am also an audiologist in the United States Army where I teach DOD hearing conservation regulations and manage 3000 DOD employees at an army industrial facility.

Arkansas Academy of Audiology American Academy of Audiology Academy of Doctors of Audiology American Speech and Hearing Association National Hearing Conservation Association

Journal of the Academy of Audiology Southwest Times Record, Fort Smith, Arkansas Press Argus Courier, Van Buren, Arkansas

Au.D. - Doctor of Audiology, University of Florida American Academy of Audiology fellow member Audiology Board Certification American Speech and Hearing Association certification Arkansas State Audiology license-current CPT United States Army Medical Corps

American Speech and Hearing Association "ACE" award x 7 years United States Army Accommodation Award Arkansas Academy of Audiology elected board of director x 3 years Better community award, Fort Smith, AR for volunteer audiology service to free community health clinic

Serving newborn to geriatric ages.....unable to provide specific names.