Deafness/Hearing Impairment/Background Noises

Question
Hello Dr. Linton I have a quick question. When I am in a quiet soundproof room (like the one where hearing tests are taken)I don't hear any noise but when I am at home and hear ambient noises the air condition vents, outside noise, refrigerator etc. I hear a very high frequency/pitched consistent tinitus like sound. In other words I get tinitus with these noises. Do you know what this could be or what I can do about it? Is my only option to just focus on not hearing it? Your advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Answer
Joe,

It is unusual that you would hear the sounds only around other noises.  Tinnitus is usually most noticed when the person is in a quiet environment.  I would recommend that you see an audiologist and have your hearing tested and see if there is any audiological reason for the tinnitus.  You can try the over-the-counter supplements which claim to help but I find most people don't get much relief.  Also, tinnitus maskers (much like a hearing aid) can be set to perfectly mask your tinnitus and can provide relief.
You should be evaluated to try to determine the source of the tinnitus first.

Thank you for your question.

Kelley Linton, AuD
Doctor of Audiology

Deafness/Hearing Impairment

Dr. Kelley Linton