Deafness/Hearing Impairment/ear problem

Hi.  Sorry if question seems weird lol.     I have unilateral deafness. My right ear is ok know. I have noticed sometimes in my sleep I wake up with my right palm of hand covering shut my right ear. If I try to take it out quickly I hear a loud pop and I am scared I will damage my hearing. If in my sleep I take my palm out slowly the pop isn't loud.  It's freaking me out. I don't know what to do.  Help please.

I don't think you will cause any permanent damage to your hearing with your hand.  When you put your hand over your ear and seal it off tightly, you cause a suction with your eardrum inside.  It's like those suction cups you see that hold things in place....when you pull your hand off of your ear, you are releasing the pressure and you feel/hear the "popping".
If you do this too quickly, and your ear has a lot of suction between your hand and eardrum, you could cause a tear in your eardrum.  This would be painful but would re-heal on its own and there should be no permanent hearing loss.

Thank you for your question.
Kelley Linton, AuD
Doctor of Audiology

Deafness/Hearing Impairment

Dr. Kelley Linton

I'm an audiologist in private practice in Arkansas. I graduated from the University of Florida medical school. I specialize in hearing loss; hearing rehabilitation; hearing aids; noise induced hearing loss; occupational noise exposure; OSHA guidelines and regulations; hearing protection; tinnitis; newborn hearing testing; children and hearing loss and diagnosis and etiology of hearing loss.

I've been a practicing audiologist for 20 years and have owned a private practice for 14 years. I am also an audiologist in the United States Army where I teach DOD hearing conservation regulations and manage 3000 DOD employees at an army industrial facility.

Arkansas Academy of Audiology American Academy of Audiology Academy of Doctors of Audiology American Speech and Hearing Association National Hearing Conservation Association

Journal of the Academy of Audiology Southwest Times Record, Fort Smith, Arkansas Press Argus Courier, Van Buren, Arkansas

Au.D. - Doctor of Audiology, University of Florida American Academy of Audiology fellow member Audiology Board Certification American Speech and Hearing Association certification Arkansas State Audiology license-current CPT United States Army Medical Corps

American Speech and Hearing Association "ACE" award x 7 years United States Army Accommodation Award Arkansas Academy of Audiology elected board of director x 3 years Better community award, Fort Smith, AR for volunteer audiology service to free community health clinic

Serving newborn to geriatric ages.....unable to provide specific names.