Deafness/Hearing Impairment/Strange Ear Sensation

Hello Dr. Linton I was just wondering about a strange thing that occurs to me maybe once every 3 months or longer. Out of nowhere I go deaf in one ear for only a few seconds and hear a little ring (tinitus) But this only lasts for maybe 8 seconds and then everything goes back to normal like as if the ear was equalizing sound. I know its nothing serious but was wondering if you could shed light on it. What is happening in the ear when this happens and why does it occur and rarely at that? Thank you Doctor.

This is a very normal phenomenon and I'm not sure I have an exact reason why our ears will do that.  It's speculated that the inner ear is having some type of "twitch" which causes the sudden ringing and the pressure change could be the ear trying to equalize...but this is just speculation.  We know it is generally not a sign of anything that should concern you.  

If you feel the severity of the episodes is getting worse or they become very frequent (many times a day), then you should scheduled an appointment to have your ears evaluated just to make sure all is well.

Thank you for your question.

Kelley Linton, AuD
Doctor of Audiology

Deafness/Hearing Impairment

Dr. Kelley Linton

I'm an audiologist in private practice in Arkansas. I graduated from the University of Florida medical school. I specialize in hearing loss; hearing rehabilitation; hearing aids; noise induced hearing loss; occupational noise exposure; OSHA guidelines and regulations; hearing protection; tinnitis; newborn hearing testing; children and hearing loss and diagnosis and etiology of hearing loss.

I've been a practicing audiologist for 20 years and have owned a private practice for 14 years. I am also an audiologist in the United States Army where I teach DOD hearing conservation regulations and manage 3000 DOD employees at an army industrial facility.

Arkansas Academy of Audiology American Academy of Audiology Academy of Doctors of Audiology American Speech and Hearing Association National Hearing Conservation Association

Journal of the Academy of Audiology Southwest Times Record, Fort Smith, Arkansas Press Argus Courier, Van Buren, Arkansas

Au.D. - Doctor of Audiology, University of Florida American Academy of Audiology fellow member Audiology Board Certification American Speech and Hearing Association certification Arkansas State Audiology license-current CPT United States Army Medical Corps

American Speech and Hearing Association "ACE" award x 7 years United States Army Accommodation Award Arkansas Academy of Audiology elected board of director x 3 years Better community award, Fort Smith, AR for volunteer audiology service to free community health clinic

Serving newborn to geriatric ages.....unable to provide specific names.