Deafness/Hearing Impairment/earphone safety

Question
Hello !thanks for service.

I wanted to ask you what is the risk of infection by briefly using internal earphones ? I used my daughters earphones for 5 mins  (she hadnt used them for a while and were sitting on a Shelf . if indeed an infection how quickly would it manifest and how serious would it be??

Thank you

Answer
agapi,

It would be comparable to getting a surface skin infection on any other part of your skin.  It is not highly likely because the earphones do not go very deep into the ear canal and our skin is a protective layer against germs and bacteria.
The danger lies in if there were an abrasion or some type of open wound in the canal and there were bacteria on the earbud and they came into contact with each other, then you have the possibility of an outer ear infection from the direct use of earphones.

Thank you for your question.

Kelley Linton, AuD
Doctor of Audiology  

Deafness/Hearing Impairment

Dr. Kelley Linton