Deafness/Hearing Impairment/Is a noise damaging if it scares you

Question
Hi Dr. Lifferth I wanted to ask you if a noise is damaging just because it scares and startles you. For example if a noise is not that loud but you are in a quiet place like a library it will startle you because you were use to the quiet and you perceive it to be loud. An example is a chair falling or a loud cough from someone else in the quiet place. Would that noise cause damage to your ear and have the potential to cause things like tinitus? Or is it just the fact that it startled you that makes you feel like it is damaging. Thank you for your answer.

Answer
John,

The noises you described will not cause tinnitus nor hearing loss, even though they startle you.  However, there are some sounds, like gun shot or explosion, that will startle you and cause hearing loss and/or tinnitus.

Hearing loss or tinnitus is due to the intensity and the duration of the sound.  If the sound is very loud it will cause hearing loss in a short duration.  If the sound is a moderate intensity then it will not cause hearing loss unless the duration is very long.

Thank you for your question.

Kelley Linton, AuD
Doctor of Audiology

Deafness/Hearing Impairment

Dr. Kelley Linton