Deafness/Hearing Impairment/Vibration Sound In Ear

Question
Hello Dr. Linton, for almost a week I am hearing a vibration kind of noise that also seems like I "feel" it. The sound/vibration is similar to a car passing by while you are inside your house. At first I thought it was pulsatile tinitus or vascular but It is not on sync with my heart beat and I jog a lot and am in good health. The only thing I remember doing before it started was I did the valsalva maneuver and popped my ears and might have put too much force. I went in to see an Audiologist and he said my eardrum looks fine. I also do not have any blockage and my eustachian tube is working fine. My hearing is also fine. Do you have any idea what this could be or any advice you can give? I don't have any pain but it is waking me up at night and causing anxiety.

Answer
Arnold,

It sounds like you have had all the major things evaluated and they are all normal.  In which case, I have to suspect that when you did the valsalva you may have caused a change in the mobility of one of the other membranes in the inner ear.  The eardrum is the main membrane we assume we are stabilizing when we valsalva but we could be causing movement in the oval window or round window as well.  Although it isn't as common, it could happen.

As your testing reveals, it didn't cause any hearing problems but may have given you a different sensation of sound because it is hitting those membranes in a different way.

This is just a possibility.  There isn't any way to know exactly what is happening.  Our main concern is that you don't have any hearing loss and the Eustachian tube is working properly.  

Thank you for your question.
Kelley Linton, AuD
Doctor of Audiology

Deafness/Hearing Impairment

Dr. Kelley Linton