Deafness/Hearing Impairment/ear

Question
Hi I have only one functional ear. I use ear protection when I do noisy housework to protect my hearing . Anyhow I wore the headphones for something and there was a pop as I pressed against my ear (apparently it was the plastic that regulates the size) it seemed loud but it probably wasn't seemed that way because it was outside of the headphone. Would such a noise be harmful to hearing?

Answer
It is very rare that a noise like that would cause permanent hearing damage.  An impulse or explosive noise has to be in excess of 140 dBHL, according to OSHA, before it is hazardous to our hearing.  Otherwise, noise of a lesser intensity would have to be continuous over a long period of time before causing permanent damage to hearing.

Thank you for your question.
Kelley Linton, AuD
Doctor of Audiology

Deafness/Hearing Impairment

Dr. Kelley Linton