Deafness/Hearing Impairment/kiss of deaf

Question
I kissed my father right on the ear canal 2 days ago. He said it hurt him, and it was a nasty feeling. I have read that people can go deaf this way. He hasn't complained of hearing yet. And I am very scared of him going deaf. I mean have been kissed before and I have yet to go deaf but, any reassurance from a person of your expertise would be very appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Answer
Damian,

I personally have not heard of someone going deaf from such a kiss.  However, the eardrum is the entrance to a pressurized middle/inner ear system and if the right amount of suction is created at the entrance of the canal it can pull the eardrum and cause it to stretch and even tear.  The discomfort could have been from the suction the kiss caused.  If it had actually torn the eardrum he would likely be complaining of hearing loss.
I have had several patients who have had torn eardrums and temporary hearing loss from someone slapping their ear.  The damage is usually correctable and hearing recovers.

Thank you for your question.
Kelley Linton, AuD
Doctor of Audiology
centerforhearing.net

Deafness/Hearing Impairment

Dr. Kelley Linton