How to Deal With Relationships in the Workplace/does he know I like him?

This guy I know, who's older than me, always says hi and talks with me. We tease each other, but sometimes we talk seriously too. One day I asked him for a ride home because I don't have a car and my cell phone's battery died out so I couldn't call a relative. He said he couldn't, and I said ok (I ended up getting a ride home from someone else). I also asked him "Will you be here Monday?" (Monday was a holiday, this was 3 months ago), and he said "Yes I will." I then said "Ok then, I'll come." And he said, "Wait, why would you come just because I'll be here?" And I said "Well, since your gonna be here it means the building is open," and he said "Oh, right". Now I think he knows I like him! He still teases me and talks to me. But I'm pretty sure he knows I like this a bad thing?

Hi May,

It is not a bad thing to like him, and it's not a bad thing that he knows you like him.  We're not talking about love here; we're discussing friends being nice to each other and making each other laugh and work more enjoyable.

Do not confuse like and love.  Most of us spend more time with co-workers than we do family, so it's natural to tease each other, talk, and even flirt.  Don't misinterpret friendly acts for romance.

Take care.  I wish you well.

Alice J. Bogert  

How to Deal With Relationships in the Workplace

alice bogert

I can field questions related to employee-employee relationship issues as well as employee-manager relationship issues.

I supervised staff at the county and federal level for over 25 years. I have extensive experience dealing with employee disputes, management employee disagreements, morale issues, managing change, etc. I teach a variety of leadership and conflict resolution classes.

National Association of Retired Federal Employees, Business Women of America.

I have a Masters Degree in Sociology.

Three Quality Step Merit Awards for Excellence while employed with the federal government. Numerous awards for training classes I've done.

Private industry, Los Rio Community College District, federal, state and county government