How to Deal with Sex Problems/Can't maintain erection while standing up

Hello Dr. Adams I'll try to make my question short. I cannot seem to keep or get an erection while standing up. Whether I am with a woman or masterbating by myself everything is fine if I am sitting down or if I am on top of her and lying down on a bed. I also seem to be ok while kneeling on the bed. The only time I cannot get or keep an erection is while I stand up. Do you know what can be going on? Thank you

It is normal to lose your erection when you stand up.  The erection is made possible by blood flowing into the penis and being restricted in its exit.  When you stand up, you change your blood flow and the restricted exit from the penis becomes unrestricted.  It is usually very difficult for a male to walk or even stand up and maintain his erection.  

If you obtain the erection when you're standing, it should be easier to maintain it in that position.  But there's nothing wrong with you if you can't keep an erection while standing.

How to Deal with Sex Problems

Doug Adams, Ph.D.

I can answer questions in any area of sexuality.

I have been an AllExperts expert in seven other sex categories for over four years and have answered thousands of questions. I have also run a web site,, for over 13 years and have answered countless thousands of questions on that site. specializes in help for men with sexual dysfunctions.

I have a Ph.D. from one of the leading research institutions in the world in a field unrelated to sexuality.

I have helped thousands of people over the Internet directly, and millions have read my writings on the web.