Dealing with Bosses and Coworkers/Should I send my application directly to the HR boss?

Dear Sir,

As you know, in the job ads, the companies usually say you should send your application (cover letter, CV, etc) by email to their general emails. These emails usually starts with 'recruitment@, or hr@'.

Will it be better for you to find the HR director's email and send your application to that email? Is it likely to impress the HR boss, or will they be annoyed?

My theory is that if you send the application to the general HR email, it will be checked by a junior staff first. And sometimes their decision will not be fair or correct.

thank you

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for writing.

This is a tough question. I know exactly what you mean about sending applications to the general HR mail. You wonder if anyone will ever take any notice of yours.

I don't think that there are any hard and fast rules about this.

Generally speaking, I think that you should do as you're requested to in the advert. That may seem counterintuitive, but it's probable that the HR office will be the one that conducts the initial screening. If you send it to the HR Director or Manager, it could just delay the time that it takes for your application to get to the people who need to see it the most.

Junior staff are used to verify that applications are complete and to sort them according to the criteria given my those who supervise them. None of them will have the authority to hire anyone. Think of them as administrative support: nothing more.

The only way I can think of to contact the HR Director or Manager in a way that would be advantageous to you would be if you knew someone personally at the company. Then that person could make the introduction, and only if you were invited to do so could you contact that key person yourself.

But I wouldn't recommend that you do it cold. It wouldn't improve your chances, and it could make it less likely that you'd make it to the next stage.

Cheers, Bruce

Dealing with Bosses and Coworkers

Dr Bruce Hoag, CPsychol AFBPsS

How to retain top talent.
How to make your employees more productive
How to manage people across different cultures
How to make yourself more valuable to your current employer
How to manage your boss
How to become more employable

Co-wrote (with Professor Cary L Cooper, CBE) Managing Value-Based Organizations: It's Not What You Think, published in 2006.

Academy of Management, British Psychological Society

Leadership & Organization Development Journal,

PhD, Organizational Psychology, Manchester Business School

Chartered Occupational Psychologist & Associate Fellow of the British Psychological Society; Ezines Expert Author