Dealing with Bosses and Coworkers/Job Search Help

I am currently working in a company from past 5 months and recently due to bad market conditions , the company has asked me to resign .
due to this i am in a bad state of mind as i cannot find a good job and my previous company where i worked for 2.5 yrs wont hire me back due to salary hike.
please help me decide as to whether i should approach my previous company for job wherein d chances are low salarywise and simply compromise on ethics & dignity by working again at same package.
Also whether this will severely affect my career due to professional gap untill i find a good job.

Dear Tiara,

Many thanks for writing to me. I hope I can help you.

I don't know anything about the employment laws in India, so what I have to say may not work entirely.

I don't see how a company can ask you to resign because they are struggling financially. I don't know if India has adopted British laws or not in this respect. If they have, then they me be trying to get you to resign because they don't want to have to pay you any redundancy money.

You need to find out from someone who knows, maybe in your local employment or benefits office - I'm sorry I don't know where you should go- if you are entitled to redundancy pay.

You also ought to find out what would happen if you didn't resign. Would they sack you? If so, on what grounds? If they did sack you, would they be breaking employment laws?

You need to find these things out.

Now, let's imagine that you do have to leave your company. What should you do?

First of all, do not compromise your ethics.

But, don't confuse that with dignity. Perhaps I am misunderstanding what you mean; but to me dignity is pride. In other words, it sounds as though you might think it beneath you to take a lower paying job.

You know what? The economy is bad for everyone; and sometimes that's what we have to do. Sometimes we have to swallow our pride and do whatever work we can get just to pay our bills.

It's not fun. Trust me. I know. But, you may not have any choice.

However, if you are being asked to compromise on your ethics, meaning that you will be asked to do things that you think are wrong, then that's a different matter entirely. In that case, I suggest that you look for something else. It may mean that you have to do something that in comparison is menial, but at least you know that you won't be violating your conscience.

If you're old company will have you back and won't ask you to compromise on your ethics, then even if the salary is lower, I recommend that you take it.

And if you do go back there, be grateful that they valued you enough to give you that opportunity.  

Dealing with Bosses and Coworkers

Dr Bruce Hoag, CPsychol AFBPsS

How to retain top talent.
How to make your employees more productive
How to manage people across different cultures
How to make yourself more valuable to your current employer
How to manage your boss
How to become more employable

Co-wrote (with Professor Cary L Cooper, CBE) Managing Value-Based Organizations: It's Not What You Think, published in 2006.

Academy of Management, British Psychological Society

Leadership & Organization Development Journal,

PhD, Organizational Psychology, Manchester Business School

Chartered Occupational Psychologist & Associate Fellow of the British Psychological Society; Ezines Expert Author