Dealing with Bosses and Coworkers/Should a boss tell his department he no longer likes the deputy?

Question
Dear Sir,

May I ask this question?

Suppose this is happening in a department, where the head no longer likes the deputy.

In that case, should the boss express his negative feeling to other staff, letting them know that the deputy is no longer in his favour?

Thank you

Answer
Hi Kevin,

Thanks for writing to me.

Gossip, and that's what this is, is slander. It's trying to damage someone else's character by saying something to someone else. It's unprofessional to say the least, and if can land you in hot water, too.

You can probably tell what I think. The boss should keep his thoughts to him-/herself. And if your place in the food chain is south of them, you most certainly do not want to get involved in the mudslinging.

Do your best to avoid being around either of them. And if you can't, then do not allow yourself to be drawn on that topic.

Simply say something like, "I don't know anything about that, and it would be inappropriate for me to comment." Then simply walk away.

Let me know how you get on.

Dealing with Bosses and Coworkers

Dr Bruce Hoag, CPsychol AFBPsS