Dealing with Bosses and Coworkers/Telling my boss I got a new job

Last week I emailed my resume to a company after seeing a job posting online. Less than 24 hours later they called me to set up an interview. My interview is Monday. So my question really is dependent on how my interview goes, but I want to be prepared in case I get the job, because I want it very bad. According to the job posting and the contact I've had with them so far, it seems like they're looking for someone to start as soon as possible

So here's my question. I currently work Monday-Saturday. This new job would be Monday-Friday, so I would like to keep my current job and just work for them on Saturdays. Mostly this is because I really love my coworkers and I don't want to say goodbye to them yet. I know it's professional to give two weeks notice when at one job when you get a new job, but I don't know if this applies because I'm not quitting. My husband thinks that one week is enough notice, considering all the times I've put myself out for them as long as I've worked there, and I'm wondering if he's right. I've worked there for over two years now and have gotten only a twenty cent raise, despite being complemented on my work. I work more hours and days per week than some of the managers. I consistently work 8+ hours on my feet with no chance to eat or sit down. I'm promised a break every day and everyone else gets one, but by the time it gets to me, they just can't seem to get one in. I've had to cancel family plans because they wouldn't give me a day off. I've been so loyal to them and I work so hard and I feel so unappreciated. I would be content with just a "thanks for all your hard work" or "I'm sorry you didn't get to take a break today" once in a while. But I'm constantly being jerked around and I'm starting to think I've been too nice. I'm starting to think I should just give them one week's notice of my new job. Let them be in a tough spot for once. I need to start thinking of myself and doing what's best for me, since my current employer is obviously only looking out for themselves. I don't want to miss out on the new job because someone else can start sooner. I think it's pretty generous of me to still be open to working Saturdays, when I won't even need to if I get this new job because it pays so much better. I could just quit without any notice at all, but I don't want to be a jerk without a really good reason. I guess I feel like I don't owe anything to my current employer after all they've put me through, and I don't think they deserve two week's notice, but at the same time I'm a good person and I like to be professional, so I'm torn. I'm not really worried about them trying to retaliate, since like I said, I won't NEED the job anymore and could quit at any time if I really get fed up. I would like to know your thoughts.

Since I've been on both side of this type of issue as both the under appreciated employee and as the employer who the employee feels is under appreciating  him/her, I can tell you that the old phrase "the grass is always greener on the other side" is likely to apply.  So be careful about burning your bridges.  In regard to giving notice, what is customary doesn't really apply here.  If you'd like to continue working on the weekend, you will want to make sure that your departure doesn't overly burden your current boss/company.  Once you secure the new job, go to you current boss and let him/her know that you have accepted a new position, but that you'd like to continue to work on Saturdays and that you want to help in the transition so as to not make replacing you any more difficult.  Ask how long it will take the boss to find a replacement for you and ask if the boss needs you to help train the replacement.  Then, let your new employer know what that time frame is.  If it is longer than your new employer would like, explain to them that if you have to leave your old employer in a bind, you will, but they probably wouldn't want you to do that to them if you quit.  Most employers will respect that you are doing the right thing with both employers.

If your current employer has good leaders, they will be excited for you and grateful that you are being considerate of their needs.

Doug Staneart

Dealing with Bosses and Coworkers

Doug Staneart

Doug Staneart can answer questions about gaining cooperation from, motivating, and influencing coworkers and employers. He is also an expert on how to avoid and resolve conflicts as well as other issues dealing with long term business relationships.

Doug Staneart has been a speaker and trainer for over ten years specializing in public speaking, leadership training, and team building. Doug is CEO of The Leader?s InstituteŽ (Team Building Events) based in Dallas and author of the books 40 Ways to Influence People and Fearless Presentations. He has accumulated over 2700 hours of classroom coaching and training with over 400 of the Fortune 500.

BA Business Management