Dealing with Bosses and Coworkers/Toxic Workplace

Dear Doug

Further to my last e mail, I am concerned that I have not requested my question to be marked as private. Please can you not respond publicly and alter the response priority accordingly. I apologise for this.

I'm not sure that I can offer a lot of specifics, because I'm not sure that I understand the full situation, but with the exception of "political" decisions, when organizations get downsized, the people who are in charge most often want to protect the people who are the most valuable to their success.  So, instead of getting mixed up in the back-biting and fear that is all around you, look for ways to increase efficiency and reduce challenges.  The more valuable you make yourself to those around you, the less you have to worry about what everyone else is doing.  The person who got demoted is an obstacle for you, but he was demoted because he didn't do his job well, and from what you have explained, he hasn't learned his lesson.  Instead of focusing on getting his current position, start focusing on ways to get yo his former position.

Good luck to you.

Doug Staneart

Dealing with Bosses and Coworkers

Doug Staneart

Doug Staneart can answer questions about gaining cooperation from, motivating, and influencing coworkers and employers. He is also an expert on how to avoid and resolve conflicts as well as other issues dealing with long term business relationships.

Doug Staneart has been a speaker and trainer for over ten years specializing in public speaking, leadership training, and team building. Doug is CEO of The Leader?s Institute® (Team Building Events) based in Dallas and author of the books 40 Ways to Influence People and Fearless Presentations. He has accumulated over 2700 hours of classroom coaching and training with over 400 of the Fortune 500.

BA Business Management