Dealing with Bosses and Coworkers/Sorry.. again..

Question
I am sorry to have lashed out like I did. I really just feel beaten down. This is at least the story of this morning. I came into the restaurant... A coffee making place and was told that I would be on register. This is the first time that I would be on register. No prior experience. The time was 4:50 and my shift started at 5am. I was then approached by the shift leader, a girl that had previously worked with my sister, who competed for her current position and won. (My sister went on maternity leave a month ago). So yes, to think about it.. she might not like me because my sister was her competitor and my sister one the competition. Still, that is no reason to treat me any different. Anyway, she approached me and said "oh, by the way your drawer needs to be counted and you need to be at your post by 5 or you will be written up." I kind of gasped a little and was like of course, a write up. I see. I went to go find my drawer, wherever that might be (remembering that I have never been on register and never been shown or told what to do when on register.) I asked for the register and she slammed it down in from of me. Hard enough for change to shuffle from the nickel slot to the dime slot. I asked her what I needed to do and she said count it. I asked her do I record it? How much was in there? How much needed to be in there? She said somewhere around 100 and left me to count. I lost count my first time and the second time I got a sheet of paper to write the individual amounts down as they were counted. I got to the 5's and was handed a disciplinary slip and the only words spoken to me were. "Here, someone will be called to cover your shift, go home." Mind you, this is the girl that tells people to shut up around the coffee shop. That's the whole story of this morning.

Answer
Monica,

Thank you!  That makes the situation much clearer.  Based on what you are telling me, it sounds like this store has a high-school like set of groups. One group is likely in your sister's camp, and the other is in the other shift-leader's camp.  It is quite possible that the behavior from the clique that you talked about earlier has absolutely nothing to do with you. This person (the shift leader)sees you as a threat and likely talks about you behind your back.

You basically have a couple of choices. Your best choice would be to just find another place to work. There is a coffee house on every corner, and they are always looking for good help. Most places have nice, fun atmospheres, so why waste your time working at this one?  Go to another coffee house and put in your application.  When you interview with them, just tell the manager were you work, and that the reason you are looking to move is that the atmosphere at your current workplace is very negative, and when you come into this restaurant, everyone always seems happy. The manager will likely hire you on the spot.

If you decide to stay, though, you will likely not get a lot of help from this shift leader. You might try moving to another shift, or you might try meeting with her one on one and just saying, "It looks like we got off on the wrong foot, and I really like working here, and I really like working for you. Since I'm new, though, I might need a little more help." Between you and I, though, I don't think this approach will have a lot of success.  She has already made up her mind that she doesn't like you.

If you stay, a couple of things that you want to keep in mind is that in a restaurant, a "write up" means absolutely nothing. When you go to another job, you aren't going to use this shift-leader as a reference. If there is a manager that has more seniority, just make sure you make a good impression on that person.  The shift leader has absolutely no real power in the company. She can't hire anyone and she can't fire anyone, but she can make your life difficult. Just make sure you have another job lined up before you quit.

Doug Staneart

Dealing with Bosses and Coworkers

Doug Staneart