Dealing with Bosses and Coworkers/Should you criticize your boss when socializing with your colleagues?

Dear Sir,

This is my question.

What if some of your colleagues and you yourself are not happy about the boss.

Then, when you have lunch or drink together, and they began to criticize the boss, what should you do?

If you are honest with yourself, then you would say what you really think about the boss, too.

But is it alright to do that?

Thank you

Kevin, it is usually never a good idea to criticize someone behind his/her back. Folks who pile on when someone criticizes the boss tend to be like a cancer to a company. Best to distance yourself from them.  If they are doing this while you are around, just say something like, "I've got no love loss for the boss, but I'd rather not talk about him behind his back."

Dealing with Bosses and Coworkers

Doug Staneart

Doug Staneart can answer questions about gaining cooperation from, motivating, and influencing coworkers and employers. He is also an expert on how to avoid and resolve conflicts as well as other issues dealing with long term business relationships.

Doug Staneart has been a speaker and trainer for over ten years specializing in public speaking, leadership training, and team building. Doug is CEO of The Leader?s Institute® (Team Building Events) based in Dallas and author of the books 40 Ways to Influence People and Fearless Presentations. He has accumulated over 2700 hours of classroom coaching and training with over 400 of the Fortune 500.

BA Business Management