Dealing with Bosses and Coworkers/Little incentive to do a good job?

Question
Could you pls advise what I can do in this case?
I'm a departmental head at at finance company.

Recently our CEO created a new position in charge of four departments, including mine. The person chosen for this position is the CEO's nephew, which led to talks of nepotism.

After three months, I'm not the only one who feel resentment about the way our jobs are assessed. If the performance of one department goes down, then the head would be criticized. That is fair enough, if only that head is recognized for the department's good performance. Instead, the new person (CEO's nephew) would be credited for every good performance, while he is spared if something goes wrong.

This creates little incentive for me and other people. We think we would have to keep trying hard without any proper recognition. Any good thing would only help that person's career.
Is there anything I should do?
Thank you

Answer
James,

Sorry, but I don't think that I have enough information to help. If you or your direct supervisor will be criticized if you do a poor job, that is definitely incentive to to a good job -- even without the recognition for a good job. Certainly, it is not ideal, but few things in the business world are going to be perfect.  One of the things that you can do is to be the person who gives positive feedback to your boss and coworkers when they do well, even if the big boss doesn't. Perhaps they will respond in kind.  If you try to go over the nephew's head, it will end badly.  Another thing that is important is to not let your self-worth be dependent on someone else's recognition. If you know you are doing your job well and someone else gets the credit, it is not exactly fulfilling, but it you can take satisfaction in a job well done.

Wish I had better news for you.

Doug Staneart

Dealing with Bosses and Coworkers

Doug Staneart