Dealing with Depression/Guilt / Depression

scarlet wrote at 2010-02-10 08:02:19
Make a few friends who are ex Jehovah's Witnesses.  Talking seems to help.  It helped me a lot.  There is no cure for the guilt you feel, but there is much support out there.  Growing up in a strict household/religion is abuse.  Recovery is a process.

ten wrote at 2012-12-05 15:30:01
To whom it may concern,

I understand 100 percent what you went through.  Growing up in a strict religious household is very tough.  It can make you feel insecure, like you don't fit in with other people.  The church will make it like everything is so evil and doom and gloom.  So many people I know in the church are depressed and messed up.  But what I learned is not to judge others, Christ loves us and loved everyone and judged no one.  Remember something God created you with your own unique mind. Use it, and don't listen to no one else but your own heart and what your mind tells you.  The church will always bring in some speaker or someone to tell you how to live and what to do. Not every ones advice is suited for you.  Live a happy, healthy, normal, positive life.  Do what's good and love and wish everyone the best.  Don't let religion make you fell guilty, if you need an answer from God and he answers good if not don't feel guilty.

Dealing with Depression

Patricia A. Schafer, Ph.D.

I received my Ph.D. from Kent State,in Ohio in Counseling.I specialize in various forms of depression and Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) and forms of addictions such as substance abuse,eating disorders and gambling. My licenses are: Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor -Supervisor(LPCC-S) and Licensed Professional Chemical Dependency Counselor (LICDC) My experience includes counseling substance abusers, families of alcoholics/drug addictions, and codependency issues. I also specialize in social phobia; stress; anxieties; women`s issues; grief and adjustments to life changes. Some therapeutic techniques used are: CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy), DBT (Dialectical Behaviorial Therapy)REBT (Rational Emotive), SFT (Solution Focused) and 12-Step, etc. If you live in the Cleveland area, you can contact me at my office for an appointment at: 440-349-4521. I accept insurance and EAP programs.

Twelve years experience as a professional clinical counselor; 30 years member of Al-Anon.

Experiences of prejudice among individuals in African American and Caucasian Interracial Marriages: A Q-methodological Study (Doctoral Dissertation - December 2008; Wilsnack and Beckman's book: Alcohol Problems in Women (1984). Alcohol use and marital violence: Female and Male Differences in reactions to alcohol(pages 260-279.

Ph.D. in Counseling - Kent State MS in Counseling - John Carroll University BS in Psychology - University of Pittsburgh

Previous president of NCOCA (North Central Ohio Counseling Association); previous president of Chi Sigma Iota. Two years VISTA volunteer on Navajo reservation in Inscription House and Shonto.