Dealing with Depression/Diconnected

I'm a 56 year old unemployed special education teacher.  I've been looking for work for over two years.  I've learned that districts do not want to hire me because I'm too high on the pay wife and I, mostly my wife decided I should retire, but I don't want to, I want to remain useful and productive, but with all that's transpired I feel worthless and disconnected.  
We still have young children at home so I'm trying to be the mr. Mom but I find it very challenging, i take care of the kids but want to do more, selfishly perhaps but staying home is not enough but they do need me....i used to consider myself very spiritual but now I feel flat and unconnected.  My wife tells me I should take advantage of the free time and pursue my interests but I feel guilty not working....I want to find a place that I feel needed and connected but I don't think I know how.

I wake up each morning dreading the coming day, I'm anxious and often times just want to go back to bed....

Thank you

Hi Richard,

You are in a unfortunate situation. I don't know whether your depression is because of your circumstances or endogenous, that is due to an inner illness. If it is endogenous please read:

Depression is a Nutritional Disorder

If not, then you need to find a way of pursuing your real interest in life, even if this has to be in a voluntary capacity

Dealing with Depression

Jurriaan Plesman, Nutritional Psychotherapist

I have a degree in Psychology from the Sydney University and a Postgraduate Diploma in Clinical Nutrition. I am also the author of “GETTING OFF THE HOOK” which deals with the nutritional and psychological treatment of personality disorders. It is freely available on the internet at Google Book Search. I am interested in the relationship between nutrition and behaviour, and as a Probation ans Parole Officer facilitated groups for offenders, many of whom were alcoholics and drug addicts, sex offenders or compulsive gamblers, as well as the whole gamut of “personality disorders”. I am also the ex-editor of the Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia Newsletter, a quarterly publication dealing with hypoglycemia and related health problems. Its web site, together with a shortened course of PSYCHOTHERAPY can be visited at:

Nutritional Psychotherapist

The Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia

My articles can be found at:

BA (Psych) Sydney University, Post Grad Dip Clin Nutr (International Academy of Nutrition)

See My Career as a Nutritional Psychotherapist at: