Dealing with Depression/Celexa

Question
Hi
I have been taking Celexa for two months now and it has been a god send. The best and most surprising part has been it has almost eliminated my urge to binge drink.
The only annoyong side effect are the 'cold like symptoms' that are common. They seem to be weather related.
Is there a gentle cold medication I can take regularly that would help, or possible a herb or supplement? Thanks!

Answer
Hi Bud:

I am glad Celexa has been a God send for you. It is very common for binge drinkers and/or alcoholics to be suffering with depression.  Binge drinking is also a sign of alcoholism. You might want to check out some AA meetings or the AA website to help you decide for yourself if you are alcoholic.

Cold-like symptoms have been known to be relieved with zinc pills or something called "Airborne."  A school teacher found what vitamins and things helped her not to catch all the colds the school children brought in.  Now it is on the market as "Airborne" (there is zinc in it) and is very popular. You might even ask your pharmacist what he recommends for cold ailments for someone on Celexa.   Tell him or her you have to avoid over the counter medications that have alcohol in them.

Hope these ideas help you.

Take care,

Dr. Pat  

Dealing with Depression

Patricia A. Schafer, Ph.D.