Dealing with Depression/Boredom/lack of motivation

QUESTION: First off, I complained quite a bit in this note, which is not normal for me. So, I want to make it clear that I know this not a serious issue and I feel enormously blessed for a whole multitude of things in my life.

I am very interested in what you'll say about nutrition because I am a nutrition buff :)

It's winter where I live and each year I struggle with keeping myself motivated during this season. I get bored and I can't shake it for months. I lose my motivation to do much of anything at all. My zest for life seems to disappear. I still get up and get to work on time and do a good job while I'm there. I still feed myself. I am not miserable.

I love to cook and I know a ton about food; I planned and cooked an epic meal last month. Lately, though, I have only been making the simplest meals. I have not cared much about my appearance, or keeping my house clean. I have only made half-hearted attempts to see my friends. I have only left my house for a couple hours on my last few days off. By the end of the workday I feel like I have literally been there a million hours and my patience wears thin. I snapped at my coworkers several times last week. I know I need to get a new job, but don't care enough to look. I know picking up new hobbies would help, but I'm too lazy.

I make attempts to stem this negativity, but I hardly am ever able to follow them through to completion. I tell myself all of these things are small obstacles that I can easily surmount (because they are!). Yet, somehow, whenever I am in this funk and I try to fight against it I just end up feeling totally drained.

I like to believe I am at the helm of my life, so I'm not going to let this drag me down into despair. But, it's hard sometimes. Sometimes I feel like I am literally going to DIE of boredom. This is shocking to me. I simply cannot understand how it is possible for me not to be happy when I have so many amazing things to be grateful for.

Anywho. Would you say this lack of motivation is a typical case of winter blues? And can you give me any pointers on how I might keep myself more engaged?

Thanks and thanks!

ANSWER: Hi Fran,
This sounds like the winter blues. This is due mainly to lack of vitamin D we normally get from the ultraviolet rays of the sun. So it may be a good idea to get Vitamin D supplements. Also have a look at:

What is Hypoglycemia?

Jurriaan Plesman, Nutritional Psychotherapist.
Hon. Editor of
The Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia.
Author of "Getting off the Hook"
Freely available at Google Book Search
Skype: jurplesman

QUESTION: I take vitamin D daily, as suggested by my naturopath. I didn't get why you included the link to the article on hypoglycemia since this seems to be a seasonal thing? I haven't found many resources on connections between food and mood. Do you have a few good ones you would be willing to share with me?

Depression is a Nutritional Disorder

Beating Anxiety and Phobias    

Hon. Editor of
Author of "Getting off the Hook"
Freely available at Google Book Search
Skype: jurplesman

Dealing with Depression

Jurriaan Plesman, Nutritional Psychotherapist

I have a degree in Psychology from the Sydney University and a Postgraduate Diploma in Clinical Nutrition. I am also the author of “GETTING OFF THE HOOK” which deals with the nutritional and psychological treatment of personality disorders. It is freely available on the internet at Google Book Search. I am interested in the relationship between nutrition and behaviour, and as a Probation ans Parole Officer facilitated groups for offenders, many of whom were alcoholics and drug addicts, sex offenders or compulsive gamblers, as well as the whole gamut of “personality disorders”. I am also the ex-editor of the Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia Newsletter, a quarterly publication dealing with hypoglycemia and related health problems. Its web site, together with a shortened course of PSYCHOTHERAPY can be visited at:

Nutritional Psychotherapist

The Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia

My articles can be found at:

BA (Psych) Sydney University, Post Grad Dip Clin Nutr (International Academy of Nutrition)

See My Career as a Nutritional Psychotherapist at: